Click here to enlarge
 Hartley College
 NavPanel of Hartley College
  Brief Info
  Photo Gallery


Hartley College Anthem Audio Files:
| Tamil | English |

Click here to visit the PPA Trust Website

You can rest assured that your email address will be kept in the strictest confidence. Also, we will never publicly display your active email address on the, ensuring your personal privacy.
Hartley College Global Website - Beta

Naatha Vinotham - HCPPA UK - 2023
Annual Picnic of HCPPA Canada & USA - 2022
HCPPA Canada & USA Executive Committee for 2022-23
An Appreciation to Mr. V. Eeswaranathan
AGM and Hartley Nite of HCPPA Canada & USA - 2022
Naatha Vinotham - HCPPA UK - 2022
HCPPA UK Website
Global Hartleyites Forum 2021 - HCPPA UK

Mr. Murugesu Thambiayah
Mrs. Somasuntharam Sakunthaladevi
Mrs. Thambiayah Nagamuthu
Mrs. Atputhamalar Sivasambu
Mr. Ramalingham Vallipuram
More Obituaries >>
   :: Significant Dates in the Hartley's History  

1838: Rev. Dr. Peter Percival, Scholar and Educationist, who complied the English Tamil Dictionary and translated the Bible into Tamil found the School with the name "Wesleyan Mission Central School."

1848: The Central Schools Commission recommends grant to the School for its good work.

1860: School remains closed for part of the year owing to difficulties.

1861: Mr. D. P. Niles, B. A., re-starts it, and puts it on a strong footing, becomes Principal.

1874: The School is shifted to the present site. In the old site a Girls Boarding School is started by Rev. W. R. Winston - presently known as Methodist Girls' High School.

1878: Mr. J. C. T. Sherrard becomes head master under Rev. Napp. Seventh Grade is the highest class and there are only a big hall and two class-rooms. He becomes so popular that the College is known as "Sherrard's School."

1896: The School is up-graded and allowed to prepare pupils for the Calcutta University Entrance Examination.

1906: Mr. S. A. Paulpillai, B. A., is appointed Principal, while Mr. Sherrard is Head Master. Mr. Paulpillai passes away and Mr. Kanapathippillai becomes Principal.

1912: Mr. E. S. Abraham B. A., becomes the Principal. The school is called "Christ Church School."

1915: Mr. C. P. Thamotheram becomes principal.

1916: Rev. Marshll Hartley, Secretary of the Methodist Mission for the East visits the school and lays the foundation for a science laboratory. The School is re-named

1917: Chemistry Lab is completed and six other class-rooms are put up.

1919: Pupils appear for the Cambridge Senior Exam.

1920: A Play Ground is provided and more class-rooms are put up. Hartleyites win Science Scholarships to the University College.

1923: The Boy scout movement is started.

1930: The Hostel building is put up. Cricket is started.

1933: Hartley College O. B. A. is inaugurated.

1938: The Colombo Branch of the College O. B. A. is inaugurated.

1943: Mr. K. Pooranampillai, B. A. becomes Principal.

1944: Pupils appear of the H. S. C. Examination. Prefects System is introduced.

1945: Co-operative Movement begins.

1947: Historical Association comes up.

1948: Drama Society starts and English and Tamil Plays put up. Photographic and Films Club begins.

1953: Centenary celebration is held.

1957: Science Association begins.

1961/62: Hindu Students Union takes shape.

1963: Hartley is adjudged the best Cricket Team of the North and wins Cup.

1967: Mr. K. Pooranampillai leaves for St. John's College and Mr. S. Ratnasabapathy takes over.

1971: Owing to the Over 55's being retired by the Government Mr. Ratnasabapathy leaves and Mr. C. Rajadurai, B. Sc., who was a successful Principal at Runawella M. M. V., succeeds.

1973: Mr. C. Rajadurai leaves as Chief Education Officer and Mr. P. Ahamparam, B. Sc., succeeds him.

1975: Mr. W. N. S. Samuel, B. A., succeeds Mr. P. Ahamparam

1979: Four Hartleyites win four Distinction Passes at the GCE A/L Exam.

1980: Thamotheram Memorial Laboratory is completed and opened.

1982: At the 1982 GCE (A/L) Exam, three get four Distinction Passes.

1983: The Pooranampillai Block is opened. The Principal inaugurates a branch of the Hartley College O. B. A. in London.

1984: The Library with 6690 Books and a few class rooms are burnt.

1985: The School is shifted in to a village 3 Km away to Puttalai MV. Mr. W. N. S. Samuel retires and Mr. P. Balasingam, B. A., becomes the Principal.

1987: Hartley is made a Core - School under the Cluster System embracing fourteen schools and the Principal is appointed as the Head of the Cluster.

1988: Amidst severe hardships and acute shortage of staff, Fourteen pupils obtain distinctions in all the 8 subjects and thirteen obtain distinctions in 7 subjects in the 1987 GCE (O/L) Examination and in the GCE (A/L) one obtained 4 A's and several obtained
3 A's.

1989: Buildings are handed back by the IPKF to the Principal. Issue of a Stamp and First-Day Cover to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of the College. Celebration in Colombo and Pt. Pedro held on 5th June. Work on the 12 million ADB building project starts.

1990: Entire school is shifted back to the old site. Constriction work stalled due to the eruption of war.

1993: General Knowledge Quiz team wins Luther Jeyasingam Memorial cup for the 2nd year in succession.

1994: Interact Club formed at College. GCE (A/L) Commerce Union publishes the magazine 'Vanika Viyalalan'.

1995: New block, named after the Late Prof. A. Thurairajah, Distinguished Old Boy of the College.

1998: The first ever Hartley College Home Page on the Internet is launched from Ottawa, Canada.

"All contents copyright 1998-2024 and All rights reserved. The services, tools, and information in and web sites are for the benefit of the Hartley College, her Past Pupils' Assotionation and Hartleyites. Hence, the Hartley College Global Webteam reserves the right to ensure that their use are within the generally accepted principles."